Here he is: Our second son, Evan Mark Glupker. He finally made his grand entrance into this world on Wed., Dec. 31st, 2008 at 10:07 PM. He was "officially" the last baby born in 2008 at Munson Medical Center in Traverse City. So, H&R Block gave us a nice bag of goodies including a coupon for tax services, for being the last baby born in 2008! (Cool, huh?) Not to mention, we get to claim him on our taxes, for the whole 2 hours we actually had him in 2008. :-) Anyway, enough about that... here he is!
For those of you who are interested... Here is my "Labor Story":
We went in to the hospital in SNOW covered roads, pretty bad condition and arrived there about 7:30 AM on Wed., Dec. 31st. My doctor checked me right away and gave me some disappointing news, that I was still only dialated to a 1 and only about 50% effaced. So the doctor suggested we try a pill to help soften the cervix. He put that in around 8:00 AM, and waited to see what it would do. At about 12:00 noon, he came back to check me, and "NO PROGRESS!" Talk about Disappointment! I was crushed. I was afraid this day was going to be a long one, and that continued to be confirmed. Becauses I hadn't dialated, he couldn't even get to my water to break it, but we did begin the Pitocin shortly after then. So we waited again for about 4 more hours. My contractions continued, fairly regularly even, but were not getting too intense yet. My nurse called the doctor to give him an update and he said, "Well, if nothing has progressed, we could just send her home and have her come back on Monday to try again." Once again, I was CRUSHED! In my mind, I was NOT going home today! I was going to have this baby, even if it meant asking him to do a C-section, which I didn't really want, but was desperate enough for at that point. He did come back to check me though, and I was dialated to a 4 now, and about 75% effaced now! Praise the Lord, he was able to break my water at that point, around 4 PM! Shortly after that I had an epidural as the contractions were beginning to come stronger. Around 5 PM, they checked me again and I was dialated to a 5. So slowly, but surely we were making progress. I asked the Resident Intern, "How much longer do you think?" She said, "Well, you will probably be able to begin pushing around midnight. MIDNIGHT?! I was hoping to have this baby BEFORE midnight! Once again, I was discouraged, looking at the clock, but knew we were on our way to having our baby. With the epidural, we were able to get some rest and let the contractions do their work. We waited until about 8 PM, when they checked my cervix again, and I was now at an 8. That was GOOD news, FINALLY some GOOD progress! Things would probably begin going faster now, they said, which they did. By 9 PM, I was getting quite uncomfortable. The contractions were getting stronger and lower. She felt and I was at a 9, almost completely effaced, and baby was at station -1. Around 9:25 PM, I began to push, and about 40 minutes later, Evan was born! I was able to pull him out of the birth canal too, How cool?! (The nurse had reassured me that I would probably only be pushing for about 30 mins. this time, as opposed to the 3 hours with Ethan. That was again some good news!) I thank the Lord for a relatively good labor and delivery, all things considering! It was an induction after all, and it took my body awhile to respond, but once I got going with the actual labor/delivery, things went pretty smoothly. I thank the very MANY of you who remembered us in your thoughts and prayers throughout the long day! They were definitely felt, appreciated, and ANSWERED! God is GOOD and we are SO thankful that he chose to bless us with another beautiful baby boy!



1 comment:
Congrats!!!
So glad everything went well and that you have a beautiful, healthy baby boy.
What a great way to bring in the New year, eh??
Hope you're feeling well, Debbie.
Sarah
Post a Comment